“The opposite of play is not work; it’s depression.” Brian Sutton-Smith, pioneer play researcher. Play involves “the willful belief in acting out one’s own capacity for the future.”
Often trauma survivors get trapped in limited thinking that causes them to isolate, retreat, and otherwise disengage with others. And since we humans are relational, this separation causes further distress.
Through the magic and play of improvisational theater, Project Make-Believe helps people live a “yes, and” attitude, practice vulnerability in a safe, supportive environment, and play their way to a happier, broader experience of the world.
We work with people of all ages–children, teens, adults, and seniors–playing games, reflecting on how we can apply the game’s lessons in our real lives, and reinforce those lessons in other exercises and practice. Improvisation requires one’s full attention, so it is very much a mindfulness exercise in addition to being playful and fun.
Please join us as we reach more people with this playful, healing art therapy by donating today.
- $25 donation provides an hour of instruction for a teen in the juvenile detention system.
- $100 pays for a month of play with veterans with PTSD.
- $250 covers the expenses needed to meet with sex-trafficked girls whose childhoods were interrupted.
- $500 enables us to run a monthly improv class for foster children at Boys and Girls Country.
- $1000 helps us deliver our playful curriculum to at-risk high school and college students.
- $2000 delivers a monthly program for women and children in domestic violence shelters.
There are a couple ways to donate:
- You can donate by credit card online here.
- If you prefer, you can also donate by check. Please send contributions to Project Make-Believe at 13131 Fry Road, Cypress, TX 77433. Checks should be made payable to Fractured Atlas, with Project Make-Believe in the memo line. Project Make-Believe is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non‐profit arts service organization. Contributions for the charitable purposes of Project Make-Believe must be made payable to “Fractured Atlas” and are tax‐deductible to the extent permitted by law.
Your gifts are tax-deductible and help abused children, women, veterans, and other emotional trauma survivors play their way to resilience. Similar to the process of paying via PayPal on some sites, this link will take you to Fractured Atlas’s donation page for Project Make-Believe.
About Fiscal Sponsorship
Fractured Atlas’s fiscal sponsorship program helps artists and arts organizations raise money from charitable sources.